The History of Duff House Royal Golf Club
Although golf is supposed to have been played in Banff for 400 years, it was only in May 1871 that organised golf was conceived when the then Banff Golf Club was formed at the Banff links. The Banff Golf Club continued in existence with varying degrees of success until 1924.
The Duff House Golf Club came into existence following a gift of land to the towns of Banff and Macduff by the then Duke of Fife following his concern at "the want of ground for golf and other recreational sports." The original course in its present location was laid out in 1909 and was formally opened by a match between two of the great "Triumvirate" - JH Taylor (the then Open Champion) and James Braid. The par was 83 and Taylor scored 75 to Braid's 78.
In 1923 the course was redesigned by the brilliant Golf Architect's Dr A and Major C.A Mackenzie, who went on to design the Augusta National Course in Georgia, home of the U.S Masters, Cypress Point in California and Royal Melbourne. On 5th August 1924 the Mackenzie course was formally opened with a match between Sandy Herd of Moor Park and Ted Ray of Oxley, both returning scores of 71. In the same year, Her Royal Highness The Princess Louise intimated that she desired that the club be known as Duff House Royal Golf Club, and on 1st January 1925 the two Banff Clubs formally amalgamated as The Duff House Royal Golf Club.
Duff House Royal is one of only 64 Clubs world wide to bear the "Royal" title. Since it came into being the Club has seen many changes but the layout of the course remains faithful to the initial design by the Mackenzie brothers. Many prestigious tournaments have been hosted and the Club runs very successful Annual Gents and Ladies Five Day Open Tournaments and, in September, a Mixed Golf Week which attracts visitors from as far afield as Central Europe and the United States.